[lug] remote management hardware?

Chuck Morrison chuck.morrison at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 14:59:37 MDT 2011

Hi Calvin,

If you need to reboot (hard) the server, then something like the APC
remotely controlled (rack mount) power strips should do it. They
aren't real cheap, but they do the job and you can control them via
scripts which is nice. You should be able to control multiple servers
from one strip, depending on how many power supplies they have.

ILO will do the trick if you don't mind going into a web page to reset
the box. The remote console on iLO is nice to see what state the box
might be in before you reset it and the logs you get there can point
to memory issues and other things that might take a while to diagnose
otherwise. I'm not familiar with anyone other than HP doing iLO, but I
haven't looked either.

Chuck Morrison