[lug] Getting eth0 to work

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Sep 12 16:55:50 MDT 2012

I used to leave eth0 at home and not worry about getting it to work.  But I started working from
home and that was all it took to get eth0 to work for free.

Sorry. :-) <gdr/>

Gary Hodges wrote:

> eth0 worked right out of the box with debian, but not with the ubuntu
> machine, which up to now I have been using a USB ->  Ethenet adapter on.

Most likely this is a problem getting the driver loaded.  You didn't say what model the hardware is.

> This is from the debian machine:
> user at debian:~$ dmesg | grep eth
> [    9.667858] eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x45E1
> [   20.183612] eth0: no IPv6 routers present

I get that, but also a line that tells me the NIC chipset.  lspci should tell you, and the Debian
machine should show you what module it loaded.  Then you can modprobe it and see what it says.

Dave