[lug] linux laptop search

Wed Sep 18 15:38:26 MDT 2013

On this here lappy (which I love, don't get me wrong), my video sucked, my wireless was a custom-compile and modprobe for the first several months, and my card-reader's still a no-go (after more than a year). And, resume is still ... dicey. Suspend works perfectly, though. :-) This was a Linux pre-install, but not MADE to run Linux, and the difference is ... significant.

On the last one before this, everything was awesome.

On the one before that, video sucked, and stability was horrible.

Subjectively, the dozen or so that I've helped other people with in the last year have been problemmy in direct proportion to their new-ness. The older the better, in terms of "hardware just works". But, since I am a spoiled brat and I want a NEW one that just f'ing works AND I want to vote with my dollars, I'm only buying Linux-preinstalled from now on. My luck is just not good enough, and I'd rather pay a little extra to show my approval to the Linux-loving vendors.

--
David L. Willson
Teacher, Engineer, Evangelist

This is a good time for a r3VOLution.