[lug] Fedora vs Ubuntu vs Mint

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Wed Jul 19 17:38:24 MDT 2017

> For me the problem with Fedora is the crazy release schedule. Makes it chasing a squirrel or a rabbit feel like you're watching a >slow comedy movie in slow motion. Frankly, I cannot update at that speed!

There was a time when the release schedule seemed like an issue to me, but after yum and dnf cleaned up the act of the evil rpm it no longer bothered me. What would bother me is if some newer features I actually need in various software were not available without custom building. If needed I can deploy on CentOS, but I really like Fedora for developing on (I do use KDE instead of Gnome though...which has its own set of bugs). I also really hate how painful it seems to admin Ubuntu compared to Fedora. Fedora may or may not be more difficult, but I've done it for so many years now there isn't much I can't do with just vi. Ubuntu irritates me (not terribly so, but enough I don't like doing admin type tasks on Ubuntu).

>I dislike Ubuntu too these days. I've settled on Mint + Mate. I tried the Debian based Mint, but frankly the Ubuntu based one is >more stable.
>

>By the way, run that crappy software that needs Ubuntu only in either a live run off a USB key, or (horror) a docker container.

The software in question does not handle virtualization well. The USB on Ubuntu VM (or any VM) is one of those areas which often fail...unrelated to UEFI, it is more to do with USB demands (piping many gigabytes of data) which doesn't always behave well in such environments (think buffer overflow/underflow).

The same software absolutely does not work under a live DVD...it needs a full environment.