[lug] virtual screens on gnome?

Jed S. Baer blug at jbaer.cotse.net
Sun Feb 11 14:46:52 MST 2018

On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 13:50:31 -0700 (MST)
David L. Willson wrote:

> I think my favorite common feature of GNOME 3, Windows 10, and macOS is
> that they all have a search/launch input box that is quickly and easily
> accessed with the keyboard or the mouse.

I have no direct experience with that, but does it work like a
combination of bash auto-complete and the locate command?

> I suppose that if there's a WM that is better than GNOME 3 in some way
> (lighter, prettier, more powerful), but it still has that feature, it
> might be worth trying.

Doesn't Gnome still use the Compiz WM? Metacity?

The ticket here would be for that search/launch function to be provided by
a program which is desktop agnostic. Possibly it is. Then, it'd be a
simple matter (or should be) to add a launcher for it to your choice of
dock/taskbar.

Another example of this would be if I want to launch the Mint menu while
in Fvwm. It appears that it's integral to the Mate panel. I can run the
Mate panel in Fvwm, but it isn't optimal, or I haven't found a way to do
it optimally for me.