[lug] Unhiding Ubuntu Accounts

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Wed Nov 25 15:42:48 MST 2020

It's a gdm3 setting but I don't know where it is. I think the default is to
list all users with an ID >= 1000 but you can override it with a
configuration file.

Have you tried "$ sudo find / -type f -exec grep -l old-user-name {} \;
2>/dev/null" ?

I think you can also use "$ sudo grep -r old-user-name /etc/* 2>/dev/null"
but I'm not 100 sure. E.g., it might miss any dot-files.

(The "2>/dev/null" is because the searches can be noisy with "no
permissions" messages even if you're running as root.)

Bear