[lug] Unhiding Ubuntu Accounts

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Wed Nov 25 15:53:11 MST 2020

>     On 11/25/2020 3:42 PM Bear Giles <bgiles at coyotesong.com> wrote:
>

>     It's a gdm3 setting but I don't know where it is. I think the default is to list all users with an ID >= 1000 but you can override it with a configuration file.

That makes sense, and gdm settings can be hard to find. I already installed the KDE version instead, so I can't check, but it makes me curious about whether gsettings would have been the key. Even more so because an auto login name would be separate from the actual user account name since the shop which installed it customized it to auto login and show their logo.

>     Have you tried "$ sudo find / -type f -exec grep -l old-user-name {} \; 2>/dev/null" ?
>     whe KDE version instead, so I can't check, but it makes me curious about whether
>     I think you can also use "$ sudo grep -r old-user-name /etc/* 2>/dev/null" but I'm not 100 sure. E.g., it might miss any dot-files.

I did a lot of find/egrep of "/etc", but the original default name was "user". "user" kind of shows up in a lot of places. I went through those (all of them) and other than the setting of "1" or "0" to enable or disable auto login I could not find "user" used in the context of an account name.

>     (The "2>/dev/null" is because the searches can be noisy with "no permissions" messages even if you're running as root.)

I ran all as root, no dbus directories searched, so didn't have permission issues.

>     Bear

I don't really have a place to work on it, and had all kinds of issues with hardware, so I guess after 6 days of struggling my curiosity was replaced by an install thumb drive. Who knew a thumb drive is synonymous with ambition?