[lug] Wiki server suggestions for small organization

Maxwell Spangler lists at maxwellspangler.com
Thu Mar 11 20:25:48 MST 2021

On Thu, 2021-03-11 at 15:06 -0700, Vince Dean wrote:
> A few years ago, when I worked at NCAR, I had good luck using an in-
> house Wiki server to share active information with team members. I'm
> hoping to repeat that success with the Art Association.
> Considerations include:
>  * I don't want to own or maintain a public-facing web server. I'm
>    Unix-savvy but not a proper system administrator.
>  * The site should be easy for our team members to search and update.
>    Artists are not known for their tech skills.
>  * We would be willing to pay a modest fee, but cost is certainly an
>    issue.
>  * It might be convenient, but not necessary, to associate files with
>    some of the Wiki pages, but the primary goal is to manage text-based
>    information.
>  * The scale is very small. We have about 150 members but only a few
>    would actively use the Wiki. Not many simultaneous users.

I've been using Atlassian's Confluence Cloud product, in a free
version, for about 8 months and I'm 90% happy with it.  For the cost,
$0, I'm 100% happy with it!

https://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/pricing

Pros:

* You can try it now, for free.

* I already know and really like the WYSYWIG Confluence editor.

* It's a cloud based service so I have to do zero work to maintain it.
This lets me focus on my other projects which are much more important
than learning how to maintain a wiki right now.

* It's free to get started and for a personal project, it works very
well.  Limit to 10 users, one site, no page permissions, no anonymous
access, community support and a 2G file storage limit.

* If you want to work with a team and have more admin controls or
produce pages that might be anonymously available for readers, you have
to upgrade to a paid version

* The paid version is $5 per person, so with a small team of 5-10 users
that $25-50/month who can create and maintain documents but I believe
all others can read documents.  For small orgs with small admin teams
that want to share content publicly, this seems like a pretty good
option.

* I has good mobile apps and I use the web version to create content
but the iPad app to read it when I want to study away from a keyboard.

* I have zero effort for install, upgrades, backups, internet access,
security, etc.

Cons:

* At this time, the complex javascript and such they use to make a web
based editor can be a memory hog.  When I feel the editing experience
get slow and bogged down, I save the page, close that browser window
and open a fresh one.  This is the only issue I have with the product
right now -- the only one -- but its a frustrating thing to have to
deal with when your 16G RAM on a desktop is exhausted editing wiki
pages.

--
Maxwell Spangler