[lug] Wiki server suggestions for small organization

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Fri Mar 12 17:06:59 MST 2021

The other nice thing about Confluence is that it plays well with their
other products. A lot of us think of Jira in terms of software development
but it's really a generic (mumble) that just happened to have the first few
preconfigured implementations oriented towards software development and IT
support. You can set up to support anything that can be described as
'project management'.

For instance you if you're running a tech conference you might have a
technical track that has steps you would take when someone responds to a
CFP. You create a ticket when you receive a proposal and then the steps are
getting it reviewed, getting the final presentation materials, scheduling a
time slot, etc.

For an art gallery it could be a track that has steps for where the 'epic'
(in the software terms) is a new show and you create a ticket for each
piece of artwork submitted for display. It would cover review (do we want
to include it), how it will be delivered, how it will be returned, anything
special requirements for display, any legal issues (e.g., insurance), etc.

(I wish I could remember what (mumble) is. It's an actual category of
software but I'm drawing a complete blank on it now. If you're an advanced
user you can write your app in terms that make sense to you and use the
JIRA REST API to manage transitions between states. It seems like it's
extra work but it really isn't since you can have your business analyst
change the details via the usual Jira webapp without requiring you to
change your code if you implemented your code correctly. E.g., you get
options to display to the user via the REST call to get the list of
available next steps instead of anything hardcoded in your app.)

Bear