[lug] Wiki server suggestions for small organization

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Fri Mar 12 16:55:55 MST 2021

Another vote for Confluence. I still have a paid license for a local
version but I switched to the free cloud version a year ago. I would have
gone with the first-tier paid account but it's $5/month/user AND minimum of
10 users. (Or was - they might have changed the terms.) I store a lot of
stuff in it and would love to be able to share some work-related stuff with
coworkers but I don't want to give them access to my list of movies to
watch, etc. A second account and modest access control would be great and I
would be willing to pay $10/month for it - but $50/month is too steep.

I know - it's free, I could get a second account. I haven't ruled that out.

And before I get yet another lecture on "why do you have work-related stuff
on your personal confluence pages?" that's an oversimplification of the
matter. I've been doing a lot of heavy devops for the past 18 months. I
document the services we use at work on the work wiki. I document the
services I've been setting up on weekends on my own test bench in my
personal wiki. There's some overlap but less than you might expect.

The 'problem' is that knowledge is fugible. Sometimes I encounter a problem
at work that I've already solved at home. I'm not going to hit myself on
the head with a rubber mallet so I forget what I learned earlier and can
re-learn it at work, I'm going to build on what I learned earlier. That's
easy for me to do - but without access control I can't share the pages with
coworkers without also sharing things like the movies I want to watch when
I have some free time. So, oh, in 2032 perhaps. Which is why I need to keep
them in a list so I don't forget them in a decade.