[lug] (Small) Network backup recommendations

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Mon May 24 10:45:14 MDT 2021

On 5/24/2021 9:07 AM, Bear Giles wrote:
> There's always sticking an external drive on your router's USB port and
> mounting it as a network share.
>
> One thing to be aware of is that there have been many cases where a
> system got hit with encryption malware... that also encrypted the
> backups since they were mounted as a network share. (Or a directly
> attached external drive.) That means you may want to do something like
> write to a shared folder but have a cron job that copies the backup to
> an unshared area.

I really enjoy and recommend to everyone using a NAS configured with
snapshots. It can be MDRAID and LVM. It could be ZFS. I use BTRFS
myself. Or if you use a prebuilt NAS with its own operating system you
go with whatever they offer.

With timeline snapshots (I use the snapper tool) you can easily go back
in time. If something corrupts your files you can go get the older copies.

You also need backups, of course. But the snapshots are so easy to use,
and faster to access.

I keep my snapshots hidden from Samba. But you can make them available
in the filesystem or you can make them show up as a Windows Server File
History snapshot. In either case definitely make them read-only.

--
                 Knowledge is Power -- Power Corrupts
                         Study Hard -- Be Evil