[lug] 14 Characters

Jed S. Baer blug at jbaer.cotse.net
Wed Jun 16 19:25:58 MDT 2021

On Wed, 16 Jun 2021 21:03:31 -0400
Steve Litt wrote:

> I just deal with the characters *I* allow: 0-9, a-z, A-Z, dot, dash,
> underscore, and for directory separators, slash. Matter of fact, I
> seldom use dash.
>
> There's a special place in hell for the people who allowed whitespace
> in filenames.

That's what I do as well. In fact, I rarely use uppercase in file names. I
even wrote a Perl script to "normalize" names on files I download. It isn't
unicode-aware, so I sometimes have to rename manually, as is the case with
ridiculously long file names as well. Hey, there's another debate -
embedding meta-data in file names. :)

We can blame this all on the Palo Alto Research Center. If there were no
GUI, people would still be using file names that are shell friendly.

--
All operating systems suck, but Linux just sucks less
 - Linus Torvalds