[lug] What Development Environments, Debuggers, also Documentation

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Thu Dec 2 14:26:50 MST 2004

Jason Davis wrote:
>>On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 14:50, Gordon Golding wrote:
>>>I've been recommended JCreator for the Java parts and Edit+ for PHP and writing SQL directly to POSTgres.

I'm coming to the party a little late and this is more of a java
question than a Linux question, but maybe this will help.

You should take a hard look at a hibernate/xdoclet combo.
Hibernate provides an abstraction layer over the JDBC so you can
transparently change database backends.  It can also transparently
handle collections, generate your database tables for you, etc.

The only downside are the configuration files... but XDoclet
includes a hibernate task that will generate the hibernate tables
for you.  For me to create a table and field all I need are
something like:

  /**
   * @hibernate.table name="users"
   */
   public class User {

      /**
       * @hibernate.property name="username" length="12"
       */
      public String getUserName() {
         return userName;
      }

   }

As a bonus you can set up some XDoclet targets that will
automatically create boilerplate code.  E.g., given the same tags
and a bit of intelligence in using empty Interfaces you can
transparently create FooDAO interfaces and FooDAOHibernate
implementations.  Standard XDoclet tags will automatically
generate EJB classes & config files.