[lug] Anyone else hate to get rid of old equipment?

Maxwell Spangler maxlists at maxwellspangler.com
Mon May 24 16:19:37 MDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-24 at 13:37 -0600, Bear Giles wrote:
> The easiest way is to just require places that sell TVs to also accept
> them for disposal at no cost to the consumer.  The disposal fee would
> just be built into the cost of new TVs.  Some states(?) already do
> this with computers.
>
> Bonus points for letting the Comcast, Qwest, whatever guy also take
> TVs and computers.  In this case you would want those companies to be
> reimbursed from some state fund.

I'd like to see most of what we purchase carry a deposit.  As a lot of
conservatives like to point out, money is a great motivator.  If you new
that toaster was worth $5, the TV worth $25, etc., you'd certainly not
throw it in the trash..

If it were Federal, it'd be fantastic.. You'd be able to buy it in one
state and go anywhere in the US (continential, at least) and get your
deposit back.

I figure if states like Oregon can do this for cans and bottles bigger
more expensive items would be easier to deal with.

--
Maxwell Spangler
        Linux, Unix and Database Administration